Did you know there’s an animal park in Florida that develops bonds between tigers and humans by having them swim together? You probably did, it’s been around for three years. I just found out via this week’s cover art done by my friend and frequent art contributor Kelly Hitzing. If you didn’t, there is such a park and the photos are terrifying. It’s like that Truck-o-Saurus episode of the Simpsons come to life…minus the Truck-o-Saurus and the sharks.
Anyway, my nightmares are your awesome cover art to the second Summer Fridays of 2011. By pure coincidence there’s a song by Cat’s Eyes. And lots of other new music, plus at least one song about the summer which is a cheeseball thing to do and I can’t promise I won’t do it again. But I can promise that the song will be good if I do so. Without further ado…
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 4.2
1. Fun Boy Three – Summertime
2. Cat’s Eyes – A Face in the Crowd
3. Wild Flag – Future Crimes
4. Seapony – Into the Sea
5. pow wow! – It’s Not That Easy
6. The Monochrome Set – Karma Suture
7. Hong Kong in the ’60s – You Can Take a Heart but You Can’t Make it Beat
8. Love Inks – Wave Goodbye
9. Ivy – I Get the Message
10. The Jazz Butcher Conspiracy – Groovin’ in the Bus Lane
11. The Attack – Colour of My Mind
12. Starfucker – Astoria
13. Small Sins – Why Don’t You Believe Me?
14. The Young Knives – Woman
15. The Hollies – Postcard
16. Nina Slash – Candy Box
17. Lemonheads – Confetti
18. The Arctic Monkeys – Suck it and See
19. Dani Sheridan – I Guess I’m Dumb
20. Girls Names – Lawrence
21. Hunters & Collectors – Everything’s on Fire
I know you know, but I can’t post this without reminding you that the songs herein are mixed together, so listening on shuffle would be a bad thing. So don’t do it! Liner notes after the jump.
It’s Memorial Day Weekend and that, of course, means the start of the fourth year of these seasonal mixes. Please enjoy whether you’re heading out of town for a three day trip to the beach, or use at a backyard bbq, or just clogging up your hard drive unzipped. Sunbathing season hasn’t really started yet, so this mix is pretty damn white. Please enjoy the quality pop tones within. Cover art this week designed by Kate Bryant who has helped kick off nearly every season of Summer Fridays since the beginning so long ago. Enjoy.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 4.1
1. Let’s Wrestle – In Dreams Pt. II
2. Eternal Summers – Prisoner
3. The Belltower – Outshine the Sun
4. Terry Malts – Distracted
5. Comet Gain – Thee Ecstatic Library
6. The Modern Lovers – Dignified and Old
7. Milk Maid – Not Me
8. Boat – Kinda Scared of Love Affairs
9. 20/20 – Yellow Pills
10. Pete & the Pirates – Little Gun
11. The Wedding Present – Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)
12. Gold-Bears – Totally Called It
13. Radical Dads – Walking Wires
14. Slade – Coz I Luv You
15. Gross Relations – Blame the Records
16. The Strokes – Machu Picchu
17. The Hairs – Duh x 12
18. Crystal Stilts – Death is What We Live For
19. The Feelies – Nobody Knows
20. The Kinks – Sunny Afternoon
Like I always always always say, these mixes are actually, you know, mixed together. So no skipping! Liner Notes after the jump.
This is it, folks for Summer Fridays 2010. The weather is already full-on Fall, though it’s not actually Autumn until the 21. Autumn is my favorite time of year in NY anyway. Enjoy this last one, think it turned out pretty good. (Especially after redoing it last minute today, which is why this is up so late.) I might do a monthly mix, so maybe look forward to that. Hope you enjoyed these . I had fun making them. Just think this is the last time you’ll have to read this phrase till next year: NO SHUFFLING.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 3.17
- Parlovr – Hell/Heaven
- Reading Rainbow – Wasting Time
- Animals That Swim – New Boots
- Casino Music – The Beat Goes On
- Talk Talk – Life is What You Make It
- The Crayon Fields – All the Pleasures of the World (Dan Block Remix)
- The Special AKA – What I Like Most About You is Your Girlfriend
- The Drums – Me and the Moon
- The Mighty Lemon Drops – Out of Hand
- Translations – The M.O.
- North Highlands – Steady Steady
- Edwyn Collins – Come Tomorrow, Come Today
- Aberfeldy – Mean Ol Misery
- Lancelot Link & The Evolution Revolution – Sha-La Love You
- The Balancing Act – She Doesn’t Work Here Anymore
- Butterglory – She’s Got the Akshun
- Superchunk – Hot Tubes
- The Trilobites – I Can’t Wait for Summer to End
Liner notes after the jump.
I know the wildly variating themes of these mixes, week to week, is probably infuriating to some people. (That’s assuming I have regular readers at this point as infrequent as my posting is here. I keep saying I’ll do better, then I don’t.) It may seem impossible that someone can love Unnatural Helpers and The Fresh & Onlys and still have time to not only listen to, but find merit in the new New Young Pony Club album. Well welcome to me. Man cannot live in Altered Zones 24 hours a day, not this one at least, and I don’t need to have my dancepop drenched in reverb to justify listening to it. (Hey I like Delorean too, don’t get me wrong.) Bitter and defensive much, me? There is currently no running water in my apartment so I am cranky.
Anway: this week is poppy and dancey, maybe in a more 2007 kinda way than right now I dunno. It’s also got Xymox and Naked Eyes and the new Mark Ronson single that I think is pretty undeniably catchy as all get out. And new Deerhunter too which I think fits in just fine. Dig it. Cover art this week comes courtesy Philip Maramba who I’ve known since college and still lives in WV where he is Design Editor for the Charleston Daily Mail. He probably cringes at every typo in this post. Philip also is an avid listener of these mixes despite never seeming to be able to figure out how to make them play in correct running order. Dude, it’s not that hard. The picture was taken Ghent, WV and looks particularly idyllic. And yes, some people in West Virginia do read David Sedaris.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 3.9
- Breakbot – Baby I’m Yours
- Deerhunter – Revival
- The Superimposers – Seeing is Believing
- Captain Sensible – Brenda Pts 1 + 2
- School of Seven Bells – Heart is Strange
- Xymox – Obsession
- Steve Mason – Am I Just a Man?
- Psychobuildings – No Man’s Land
- New Young Pony Club – Oh Cherie
- Naked Eyes – When the Lights Go Out
- Guru – Loungin’
- Holy Ghost! – Static on the Wire
- Mark Ronson & The Business Intl – Bang Bang Bang
- Ratatat – Mandy
- James Yuill – When You’re on Your Own
Because I will just never stop saying this: what you’ve got here is an actual mix, the songs segue together and much thought has been put into the running order. They are separate tracks though…so NO SHUFFLING. Liner notes after the jump.