Not that we had a winter this year on the East Coast, but Spring is in full bloom here in Brooklyn. Post-bloom actually, which is a good thing for you allergy sufferers. And so thaws my blog which has been on deep freeze since February. So here we are with this year’s Spring Fever mix and I think it turned out pretty good! Lots of great new sounds, covering a lot of sonic territory (well, within a certain pale milieu, let’s face it). Anyway, here you go, do enjoy.
DOWNLOAD SPRING FEVER 2012
1. Shrag – Tendons in the Night
2. Veronica Falls – My Heart Beats
3. Django Django – Life’s a Beach
4. Allah-Las – Tell Me (What’s on Your Mind)
5. Scraps – Secret Paradise
6. Hollie Cook + Prince Fatty – And the Beat Goes On
7. Dent May – Best Friend
8. New Build – Do You Not Feel Loved?
9. Bear in Heaven – Cool Light
10. Tanlines – Green Grass
11. Craft Spells – Sun Trails
12. Violens – Sariza Spring
13. Dive – How Long Have You Known?
14. Lotus Plaza – Strangers
15. Lightships – Stretching Out
16. Ex Cops – You Are a Lion, I Am a Lamb
17. Crocodiles – Psychic Conversation 9
18. Ty Segall & White Fence – Easy Rider
19. Paperhead – Pictures of Her Demise
20. Spiritualized – Hey Jane
21. Richard James – Magical Day
In case you forgot how I do things, these songs are mixed together so please don’t listen to this on shuffle. It’ll sound wrong. Liner notes are after the jump
There were a few snowflakes in the air today here in Brooklyn, the first of the season, so it’s good timing for the first Wintry Mix of 2012. Unlike the Summer Fridays mixes, these will be almost entirely new music… though I’m allowing myself one oldie per week. Lots of great stuff here: new singles from The 2 Bears, Diagrams, WhoMadeWho and Bear in Heaven. This one is pretty dancefloor-friendly. So have at it!
DOWNLOAD WINTRY MIX 01.13.2013
1. The Golden Filter – Age of Consent
2. WIR – So and Slow it Grows
3. WhoMadeWho – Inside World
4. Django Django – Default
5. Errors – Pleasure Palaces
6. Chairlift – Sidewalk Safari
7. Expensive Looks – Nightfalls
8. Tanlines – Brothers
9. LESCOP – La Foret
10. The 2 Bears – Work
11. Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs – Dream On
12. The Big Pink – Hit the Ground (Superman)
13. Bear in Heaven – The Reflection of You
14. Grimes – Genesis
15. Diagrams – Tall Buildings
Like all my mixes, the songs actually segue together so…No shuffling! Liner notes after the jump.
It dropped 25 degrees yesterday and now feels like Fall but that season doesn’t technically drop for five more days, so here’s the final Summer Fridays mix of 2011 on an autumnal tip. Which means some ’70s folk, sad strings, and mellow grooves. But as always, there’s some great new music on here: new singles from Django Django (the first in a year and a half), Still Corners and Radio Dept. offshoot Korvallren and Junk Culture (featuring Phantogram’s Sarah Barthel). Plus some oldies, cult obscurities (Yes that’s Matt Berry of Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace and The IT Crowd opening this mix) and other sonic ephemera. This one turned out pretty well.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 4.17
1. Matt Berry – Take My Hand
2. Cashier No. 9 – To Make You Feel Better
3. Korallreven – As Young as Yesterday
4. Django Django – Waveforms
5. Baxter Dury – Leak at the Disco
6. Junk Culture – Chippewa Kids
7. The Beach Boys – Surf’s Up
8. Yo La Tengo – Can’t Forget
9. Wendy & Bonnie – The Paisely Window Pane
10. Fan Mondine – Another Eventale
11. The Field Mice – September’s Not So Far Away
12. Weekend – Hazel
13. Still Corners – Into the Trees
14. Heaven’s Gate – Salome
15. Donovan – Hurdy Gurdy Man
16. Shimmering Stars – Dancing to Music I Hate
17. Mercury Rev – Goddess on a Highway
18. The Shortwave Set – Is It Any Wonder?
Like the shortening days, the songs onto the mix flow into one another and we’ll be back at the beginning before you know it. So no shuffling. I’m going to get liner notes up later this afternoon.
Whoo it’s hot, huh? And barely June. Despite my hopes at not having to make any of this year’s covers myself, here we are with a patented B.Pearis Type-Over-Photo school of design. (The font, if you’re curious is a Peter Saville original, created for the 1981 – Factus 8 – 1982 compilation EP.) I actually kind of like this one, though. The photo is from the Library of Congress’ Flickr. It was taken at a square dance in Oklahoma around 1939. No one in this photograph was dancing to The Drums, The B-52’s or Air Miami, but if I was to go back in time with a boom box and play this mix for them, I feel pretty positive they’d be frightened. Fear would turn to anger and I’d get beat up or worse. But maybe doing so would somehow end up in stopping Hitler. Which would make it all worth it. That is the power of music, folks.
But I digress. Here’s mix #2 which I think turned out pretty well and is about half-and-half new/old. At one point this one had two French language tracks, but now it has none. Probably because of the whole time travel incident, the USA never had to storm Normandy and somehow those musicians were never born or never became musicians. Looks like I’ve got some paradox-fixing to do.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 3.2
- Django Django – WOR
- The Slits – I Heard it Through the Grapevine
- Young Friends – Riverside Kids
- The B-52’s – 52 Girls
- The Drums – Forever and Ever Amen
- Air Miami – Word Cup Fever
- Lulu – I’ll Come Running
- Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti – Bright Lit Blue Skies
- Darwin Deez – Bad Day
- Foals – Total Life Forever
- New Order – The Village
- Beach Fossils – The Horse
- Sea Lions – Good Feelings
- The Aislers Set – The Way to Market Station
- The Housemartins – Sheep
- Here We Go Magic – Casual
- The Soundcarriers – Last Broadcast
- The Radio Dept. – This Time Around
- LiLiPUT – Die Matrosen
It should go without saying at this point that this is an actual mix, the songs segue together despite being separate tracks. So no shuffling, ok? I switched to Mediafire for this one — does it download quicker/easier? Liner notes after the jump.