I really wanted to use this great new Dent May single (song title of the year?) which sent me down a ’70s soft/yacht rock direction, and I really just went for it (see: Boz Scaggs and The Dan). There are some obscurites on here (The Poppy Family, Doris) and a song off Love’s funk/disco record. I end things with a Flo & Eddie (of The Turtles) song that is both fitting of the mix, but with lyrics that seem like they could’ve been written today (like, literally today).
Artwork by frequent contributor Heloise Chung. Download or stream to your heart’s content.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 9.2
1. Dent May – Face Down in the Gutter of Your Love
2. Boz Scaggs – Lowdown
3. Love – Be Thankful for What You Got
4. The Bees – Get to Let Go
5. Klaus Johann Grobe – Lieb am Strand
6. The Poppy Family – Where Evil Grows
7. Britta Phillips – One Fine Summer Morning
8. The High Llamas – Checking In, Checking Out
9. Steely Dan – Deacon Blues
10. Metronomy – Nite Owl
11. The Lemon Twigs – These Words
12. Doris – Did You Give The World Some Love Today, Baby?
13. Drugdealer – Suddenly (ft. Weyes Blood)
14. Breakbot – Too Soon
15. Flo & Eddie – Keep it Warm
I know the wildly variating themes of these mixes, week to week, is probably infuriating to some people. (That’s assuming I have regular readers at this point as infrequent as my posting is here. I keep saying I’ll do better, then I don’t.) It may seem impossible that someone can love Unnatural Helpers and The Fresh & Onlys and still have time to not only listen to, but find merit in the new New Young Pony Club album. Well welcome to me. Man cannot live in Altered Zones 24 hours a day, not this one at least, and I don’t need to have my dancepop drenched in reverb to justify listening to it. (Hey I like Delorean too, don’t get me wrong.) Bitter and defensive much, me? There is currently no running water in my apartment so I am cranky.
Anway: this week is poppy and dancey, maybe in a more 2007 kinda way than right now I dunno. It’s also got Xymox and Naked Eyes and the new Mark Ronson single that I think is pretty undeniably catchy as all get out. And new Deerhunter too which I think fits in just fine. Dig it. Cover art this week comes courtesy Philip Maramba who I’ve known since college and still lives in WV where he is Design Editor for the Charleston Daily Mail. He probably cringes at every typo in this post. Philip also is an avid listener of these mixes despite never seeming to be able to figure out how to make them play in correct running order. Dude, it’s not that hard. The picture was taken Ghent, WV and looks particularly idyllic. And yes, some people in West Virginia do read David Sedaris.
DOWNLOAD SUMMER FRIDAYS 3.9
- Breakbot – Baby I’m Yours
- Deerhunter – Revival
- The Superimposers – Seeing is Believing
- Captain Sensible – Brenda Pts 1 + 2
- School of Seven Bells – Heart is Strange
- Xymox – Obsession
- Steve Mason – Am I Just a Man?
- Psychobuildings – No Man’s Land
- New Young Pony Club – Oh Cherie
- Naked Eyes – When the Lights Go Out
- Guru – Loungin’
- Holy Ghost! – Static on the Wire
- Mark Ronson & The Business Intl – Bang Bang Bang
- Ratatat – Mandy
- James Yuill – When You’re on Your Own
Because I will just never stop saying this: what you’ve got here is an actual mix, the songs segue together and much thought has been put into the running order. They are separate tracks though…so NO SHUFFLING. Liner notes after the jump.