It dropped 25 degrees yesterday and now feels like Fall but that season doesn’t technically drop for five more days, so here’s the final Summer Fridays mix of 2011 on an autumnal tip. Which means some ’70s folk, sad strings, and mellow grooves. But as always, there’s some great new music on here: new singles from Django Django (the first in a year and a half), Still Corners and Radio Dept. offshoot Korvallren and Junk Culture (featuring Phantogram’s Sarah Barthel). Plus some oldies, cult obscurities (Yes that’s Matt Berry of Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace and The IT Crowd opening this mix) and other sonic ephemera. This one turned out pretty well.
1. Matt Berry – Take My Hand
2. Cashier No. 9 – To Make You Feel Better
3. Korallreven – As Young as Yesterday
4. Django Django – Waveforms
5. Baxter Dury – Leak at the Disco
6. Junk Culture – Chippewa Kids
7. The Beach Boys – Surf’s Up
8. Yo La Tengo – Can’t Forget
9. Wendy & Bonnie – The Paisely Window Pane
10. Fan Mondine – Another Eventale
11. The Field Mice – September’s Not So Far Away
12. Weekend – Hazel
13. Still Corners – Into the Trees
14. Heaven’s Gate – Salome
15. Donovan – Hurdy Gurdy Man
16. Shimmering Stars – Dancing to Music I Hate
17. Mercury Rev – Goddess on a Highway
18. The Shortwave Set – Is It Any Wonder?
Like the shortening days, the songs onto the mix flow into one another and we’ll be back at the beginning before you know it. So no shuffling. I’m going to get liner notes up later this afternoon.