Here's all of this season's Summer Fridays cover art (minus #17 which I just sort of dashed-off). Thanks to everyone who contributed. Which one was your favorite?
This is it, folks for Summer Fridays 2010. The weather is already full-on Fall, though it’s not actually Autumn until the 21. Autumn is my favorite time of year in NY anyway. Enjoy this last one, think it turned out pretty good. (Especially after redoing it last minute today, which is why this is up so late.) I might do a monthly mix, so maybe look forward to that. Hope you enjoyed these . I had fun making them. Just think this is the last time you’ll have to read this phrase till next year: NO SHUFFLING.
- Parlovr – Hell/Heaven
- Reading Rainbow – Wasting Time
- Animals That Swim – New Boots
- Casino Music – The Beat Goes On
- Talk Talk – Life is What You Make It
- The Crayon Fields – All the Pleasures of the World (Dan Block Remix)
- The Special AKA – What I Like Most About You is Your Girlfriend
- The Drums – Me and the Moon
- The Mighty Lemon Drops – Out of Hand
- Translations – The M.O.
- North Highlands – Steady Steady
- Edwyn Collins – Come Tomorrow, Come Today
- Aberfeldy – Mean Ol Misery
- Lancelot Link & The Evolution Revolution – Sha-La Love You
- The Balancing Act – She Doesn’t Work Here Anymore
- Butterglory – She’s Got the Akshun
- Superchunk – Hot Tubes
- The Trilobites – I Can’t Wait for Summer to End
Liner notes after the jump.
I know, I know. It's past Labor Day and maybe some of you think these mixes are as over as white shoes. Summer Fridays, in the office sense, are definitely over. But technically the season goes till September 21 so I'm gonna do these for two more weeks. Clearly I'm running out of stuff as this week features some Repeat Offenders. That's a bonehead name but I'm all for recidivism. And when a new Fresh & Onlys album gets handed to me, how can I say no?
Cover art this week is courtesy Alan Hevelone who has saved you all from seeing another of my creations. I probably wouldn't have been able to resist using a picture of a dude in a rainbow wig at a football game.
- Abe Vigoda – Dream of My Love Chasing After You
- Coin Under Tongue – Beyond Yes
- House of Love – The Hedonist
- Crocodiles – Mirror
- The Stone Roses – Waterfall
- Procedure Club – Rather
- The Intelligence – The Beetles
- X-Ray Spex – Germ-Free Adolescents
- Violens – It Couldn't Be Perceived
- The Fresh & Onlys – Fascinated
- The Smiths – The Headmaster Ritual
- Brian Eno – The True Wheel
- Furniture – Your Brilliant Mind
- Laetitia Sadier – Un Soir, Un Chien
- Automelodi – Rose A.D.
- Grand National – Talk Amongst Yourselves
Not even gonna say the thing I normally say here. Do what you will. Next week's it, though it'll probably be a double. Liner notes after the jump.
Labor Day weekend is the romantic end of Summer, even if it doesn't official end until the 21st. But, psychically, this is it. Let's do it up. (These mixes will continue for two more weeks, I'm going till the Vernal Equinox.) Even if you don't have a job, this is for you. A perfectly good strawberry shortcake bardied for the artwork this week. I hope you appreciate it. They're hands down my favorite junky frozen treat.
- Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood – Summer Wine
- High Places – The Longest Shadows
- (The) Tony Castles – Black Girls in Dresses
- America – Ventura Highway
- Junip – Always
- Rainy Day – I'll Keep it with Mine
- The Fresh & Onlys – August in My Mind
- The Bees – Listening Man
- The Silver Seas – What if it Isn't Out There?
- Minature Tigers – Gold Skull
- MYSTERY TRACK
- Pete & the Pirates – Selina
- Big Star – September Gurls
- Cosmic Rough Riders – Sometime
- Connan Mockasin – Megumi The Milkyway Above
- Astrud Gilberto – Beginnings
Have a great long weekend. No shuffling. Liner notes after the jump.
This is the last Summer Friday of August but we've still got a few week of mixes to go. I run them through the actual end of summer, so there's three more after this. Cover art this week by Robyn Lee who has the enviable job of working for Serious Eats where, among other things, is editor of A Hamburger Today. (They really need to try the Commodore's burger which is the best in Williamsburg.) She also has her own site, The Girl Who Ate Everything which is also worth checking out. (Robyn used to have a good music blog too which I wish she still did! I'm one to talk.) It's also worth mentioning that it is ROBYN'S BIRTHDAY TODAY. I wish this blog was a Sixth Street Indian Restaurant 'cause if it was, lights would be flashing with weird disco music blaring. HAPPPPPPYYYYYYBIIIIIRRRRTHDAY!!!
Musically-speaking, this week's mix is strictly a white jeans affair. It all stemmed from news about this Orange Juice box set that's coming out on Domino, and then I was all "ooh I should put on some Style Council and Haircut One Hundred and Eggstone and Magic Bullets" and here we are. Light the tiki torches, pour yourself a cocktail… and beware of the blob!
Here's the tracklist:
- Seinking Ships – Digging His Own Hole (ft Miki Berenyi)
- The Wolfgang Press – Heaven's Gate
- Eggstone – Tarasamalata
- Kings of Convenience – Gold for the Price of Silver
- Belleruche – Clockwatching
- Club 8 – Isn't That Great?
- Magic Bullets – Millions of People Running Around
- Orange Juice – Flesh of My Flesh
- Dominant Legs – About My Girls
- The Style Council – Have You Ever Had it Blue?
- Frankie & the Heartstrings -Ungrateful
- The Beat – Sole Salvation
- The Beets – God
- Beck – Tropicalia
- Top Sound – A Matter of Precision
- Haircut One Hundred – Lemon Firebrigade
- The Five Blobs – The Blob
While wearing white jeans past labor day is now considered acceptable, listening to this mix on shuffle would be a faux pas. Liner notes after the jump.
We're in the last month of summer but in NYC at least it's still blazing hot which is making a lot of people angry. I'll say one of the best things about being currently underemployed is not having to brave the overcrowded subway platforms at rush hour. You can just feel the tension in the air, or maybe it's just the humidity. This mix doesn't reflect this in any way, I don't think, but you know, just saying. It's hot.
Cover art this week is courtesy my friend Kelly and these flamingos are from her mom's back yard Florida or something. Summer seems to be over for these guys.
- Figurines – Lucky to Love
- Oranger – Suddenly Upsidedown
- Klaxons – Echoes
- Of Montreal – Enemy Gene
- Blonde Redhead – Not Getting There
- Medicine – Never Click
- The Intelligence – Like Like Like Like Like Like Like
- I Was a King – Nightwalking
- One Man Band – Love You
- Gabor Szabo – Sunshine Superman
- A Classic Education – Terrible Day
- Tennis – Baltimore
- Prefab Sprout – Lions in My Own Garden (Exit Someone)
- East River Pipe – Here We Go
- Eternal Summers – Disciplinarian
- Lotion – Feedback Queen
- Winter Gloves – Strange Love
- Penelope Houston – Harry Dean
- Game Theory – The Real Sheila
- Kelley Stoltz – I Don't Get That
- The Woodentops – Why
Blah blah blah no shuffling, ok. Liner notes after the jump.
Nothing tropical on this week's mix but songs contained herein are pulled from at least a couple desert island discs. Another great cover from Greg Morris who really came through in the clutch. I have to say this week's mix turned out pretty good. Nice mix of new and old and everything flows together well… so no shuffling ok? That is a running gag at this point but, you know, funny cause it's true or something.
EDIT: Greg just pointed out that "Any Major Dude" was on the first-ever Summer Fridays mix. (Which is now out of print.) I try to keep track of these things but it was bound to happen at some point. Coulda sworn I used "Barrytown." Sorry folks. Refunds at point of purchase.
Here's the tracklist:
- The Boo Radleys – (I Wanna Be) Touchdown Jesus
- Dungen – Soda
- My Tiger My Timing – This is Not the Fire
- Fugiya & Miyagi – Taiwanese Boots
- The 6ths – San Diego Zoo
- Steely Dan – Any Major Dude
- Shrag – Tights in August
- This Many Boyfriends – I Don't Like You ('Cos You Don't Like The Pastels)
- The Pastels – Simply Nothing to be Done
- Dog Day – Wait it Out
- Violens – Acid Reign
- The Cribs – Housewife
- Fergus & Geronimo – Girls with British Accents
- Bare Wires – Dancing on a Dime
- Candy Butchers – What I Won't Give
- The Byrds – Why?
- The Jazz Butcher – Big Saturday
- Frankie Rose & the Outs – Girlfriend Island
- Built to Spill – Fling
- Louis Armstrong – We Have All the Time in the World
Liner notes after the jump.
After a stunning run of great cover art from actual, talented people we're back to questionable work by Yours Truly. And yes, I resorted to Poladroid but I thought the seedy nature of this tableau needed it. This weird, every-shifting diorama exists in the empty lot at the end of my block and many Williamsburg residents may recognize it. Gorilla knows that even while working at his desk, there's time for partying. Or at least a little guitar. But don't overdo it like Venom, or else the cow will be annoyed. Words to live by. Other words to live by: No shuffling. Here's this week's tracklist:
- Isobel Campbell and Mark Lanegan – Time of the Season
- Paul McCartney & Wings – Mrs. Vanderbilt
- The Dandy Warhols – The Coffee and Tea Wrecks
- Pleasure w/Ed Harcourt – From the Country to the City
- Everything Everything – Schoolin'
- The Coral – 1000 Years
- Weed Hounds – Skating Away from the Cops
- Pale Saints – Ordeal
- Tamaryn – Love Fade
- The Chameleons – Up the Down Escalator
- Girls Names – Running Scared
- Woven Bones – I've Gotta Get
- The Young Fresh Fellows – Young Fresh Fellows Theme
- Wild Nothing – Our Composition Book
- Baby Bird – A Cool and Crazy Thing
- Twin Shadow – I Can't Wait
- The Supremes – Dr. Goldfoot & the Bikini Machine
- Suede – He is Dead
Another not-so-thematically-cohesive mix but I like all the songs. Liner notes after the jump.
The hottest month on record since the oppression that was July 1999, the heat finally broke today. This mix was made under high heat and higher humidity, though, and it's definitely a bit crazy. After trying to make all the mixes thus far work thematically as a whole, here's a bunch of songs — mostly new — that I really like. My only criteria being that the segueways not be too jarring.
Cover art this week is by D. Crane of Seattle's amazing BOAT who have appeared on multiple Summer Fridays mixes in the past. Truly an honor. Dave's a vegetarian, I wonder if the dog knows it's just asparagus and eggplant under the grill cover. BOAT are working on a new album and graduate degrees as we speak. Without further salivation.
- Versus – Invincible Hero
- Al Green – I'm Glad You're Mine
- Alex Kemp – I'm on Your Side
- Papas Fritas – The Way You Walk
- Edwyn Collins – Losing Sleep
- The High Llamas – Rollin'
- Summer Camp – Jake Ryan
- The Arcade Fire – Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
- The Clientele – Jerry
- The Rolling Stones – Monkey Man
- Flamin' Groovies – You Tore Me Down
- The Electric Bunnies – I Swear I'll Never Let You Go
- Charlotte Hatherley – Bastardo
- Wet Illustrated – Born Stoked
- The Car is on Fire – Cherry Cordial
- Disappears – Magics
- Surf City – Crazy Rulers of the World
- Dukes of Stratosphear – My Love Explodes
It doesn't bear repeating but…No shuffling. If you do this mix will make even less sense than it already does. Liner notes after the jump.
I know the wildly variating themes of these mixes, week to week, is probably infuriating to some people. (That’s assuming I have regular readers at this point as infrequent as my posting is here. I keep saying I’ll do better, then I don’t.) It may seem impossible that someone can love Unnatural Helpers and The Fresh & Onlys and still have time to not only listen to, but find merit in the new New Young Pony Club album. Well welcome to me. Man cannot live in Altered Zones 24 hours a day, not this one at least, and I don’t need to have my dancepop drenched in reverb to justify listening to it. (Hey I like Delorean too, don’t get me wrong.) Bitter and defensive much, me? There is currently no running water in my apartment so I am cranky.
Anway: this week is poppy and dancey, maybe in a more 2007 kinda way than right now I dunno. It’s also got Xymox and Naked Eyes and the new Mark Ronson single that I think is pretty undeniably catchy as all get out. And new Deerhunter too which I think fits in just fine. Dig it. Cover art this week comes courtesy Philip Maramba who I’ve known since college and still lives in WV where he is Design Editor for the Charleston Daily Mail. He probably cringes at every typo in this post. Philip also is an avid listener of these mixes despite never seeming to be able to figure out how to make them play in correct running order. Dude, it’s not that hard. The picture was taken Ghent, WV and looks particularly idyllic. And yes, some people in West Virginia do read David Sedaris.
- Breakbot – Baby I’m Yours
- Deerhunter – Revival
- The Superimposers – Seeing is Believing
- Captain Sensible – Brenda Pts 1 + 2
- School of Seven Bells – Heart is Strange
- Xymox – Obsession
- Steve Mason – Am I Just a Man?
- Psychobuildings – No Man’s Land
- New Young Pony Club – Oh Cherie
- Naked Eyes – When the Lights Go Out
- Guru – Loungin’
- Holy Ghost! – Static on the Wire
- Mark Ronson & The Business Intl – Bang Bang Bang
- Ratatat – Mandy
- James Yuill – When You’re on Your Own
Because I will just never stop saying this: what you’ve got here is an actual mix, the songs segue together and much thought has been put into the running order. They are separate tracks though…so NO SHUFFLING. Liner notes after the jump.