I remember back in 1999 when West Nile Virus hit NYC, during that ultra-hot July, they sprayed down the streets of South Williamsburg along Kent at like 2AM. There were cars leading the way a few blocks ahead, blaring horns and warnings to “GET INSIDE NOW WE ARE SPRAYING INSECTICIDE.” It was like some sort of post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie. Scary! Thankfully, Zika hasn’t really hit here, but for my friend Kelly who lives in Miami it’s very real. Weirdly, according to her, the fear has manifested itself into a musical subgenenre of dance music they’re calling “zika wave” which is somewhere between Belgian “new beat” and Italo? Or it could just be a joke on this party flyer. Either way it was her inspiration for this week’s cover art. I think the “9,7” is made out of mosquitos?
I didn’t put any New Beat on here but there is a little Italo (Chromatics) and I wanted to put the great new Radio Dept song “Swedish Guns” on here so everything is pretty much either dance or dub. Also, I dipped into Sandinista! for a second week in a row. Please enjoy, whether you’re wearing a mosquito net suit for not.
1. The Radio Dept. – Swedish Guns
2. El Perro Del Mar – Ding Sum
3. Saint Etienne – On the Shore
4. Soft Hair – Lying Has Got to Stop
5. The Beta Band – Lion Thief
6. Hollie Cook – Sugar Water (ft. Horseman)
7. New Age Steppers7 – Some Love
8. Blackbeard – Electrocharge
9. Trentemøller – Redefine
10. Chromatics – Hands in the Dark
11. The Clash – The Call Up
12. The Modernist – The Price of Love (ft. Joe Goddard)
13. Renegade Soundwave – Thunder
14. Pional – Casualty