The Onion has changed and expanded more in the last year than it has in its its previous years of existence combined. This goes for the funny stuff, as well as its awesome, smart Arts & Entertainment section (which is also funny), The A.V. Club. Previously, the editors have shied away from making a Definitive Statement about the best year, instead offering individual lists from all its writers.
This year, however, for the first time (I think) there is a Definitive List:
The Onion A.V. Club’s Top Ten Albums of 2006
- The Hold Steady – Boys and Girls in America
- TV on the Radio – Return to Cookie Mountain
- Midlake – The Trials of Van Occupanther
- Jenny Lewis with the Watson Twins – Rabbit Fur Coat
- Belle & Sebastian – The Life Pursuit
- Ghostface Killah – Fishscale
- The Decemberists – The Crane Wife
- The Coup – Pick a Bigger Weapon
- Neko Case – Fox Confessor Brings the Flood
- Band of Horses – Everything All the Time
The list actually goes to 25, and the writers all get thier individual top tens as well. Check out the whole thing here. Once again, my own Top 20 is like a combination of Noel Murray and Keith Phipps‘ lists. The A.V. Club‘s annual "Least Essential Albums of the Year" list has yet to publish, but you can check out the also-not-to-be-missed Cheap Toy Roundup (including the "Future Gun" seen here, right).